FINGER MEASUREMENT SYSTEM
This is a method to locate points by measuring the distance with either
the length or width of the patient's fingers. 1
cun (tsun) = approximately 1.3 inches
- Middle finger measurement: When the middle finger is flexed, the distance
between the radial ends of the two interphalangeal creases of the patient's
middle finger is taken as 1 cun (see
- Thumb measurement: The width of the interphalangeal joint of the patient's
thumb is taken as 1 cun.
- Four Finger measurement: When the four fingers (index, middle, ring
and little fingers) keep closely together, their width on the level of
hte proximal interphalangeal crease of the middle finger is taken as 3 cun. (see figure)
This measurement system should be used in combination with simple landmarks
on the basis of the bone proportional measurement system.
BONE PROPORTIONAL MEASUREMENT
- From the midpoint of the anterior hairline to the midpoint of the posterior
hairline = 12 cun.
- From the point below the spinous process of the 7th cervical vertebra
(Dazhui DU14) to the midpoint of the posterior hairline = 3 cun.
- From the suprasternal fossa (Tian Tu, RN22) to the midpoint of the
sternoxyphoid symphysis = 9 cun.
- Between the two nipples of the breast = 8 cun.
- From the medial border of the scapula to the posterior midline = 3
- From the cubital crease to the dorsal crease of the wrist = 12 cun.
Click to return to AcuPoint Model or use your "back" browser button.